Saturday, November 24, 2012

Painting Chairs

I purchased two chairs that were a burnt red colour. I really loved the idea of having them painted in a bright high gloss.
I was recently given about 6 litres of yellow high gloss enamel paint that was left over from a building. It wasn't quite as bright as I wanted but was pretty close.

With my DIY buddy Toby we did a drive by of the building to peep in he window to get his approval.

I started priming the first chair by hand. It took forever and looked terrible. It was blotchy, uneven and streaky. Not what I had in mind at all.

I decided to look into spray painters. I had previously painted furniture with a can of spray paint which came out even and smooth.

I did some googling and after a trip to the hardware store I came home with an Earlex spray station.

We got into priming as soon as we got home with a water based primer.

Ah-mazing! Quick, easy and with a smooth even finish after one coat of primer.

It took us a while to get the hang of thinning the paint down enough. They provide a handy funnel which you fill with paint and time how long the pant takes to run through. If it is less than 3 minutes then you are right to go. Toby and I have issues sitting still... longest three minutes ever!

The spraying was super easy, point and spray with slow even movements.

The clean up took a while and with water based paints was easy enough. With the enamel you have to clean up with thinners. Much more challenging.
The time you save painting you certainly make up for cleaning up, but the finish is much better then painting by hand.


Pros: 
Quick,
Even,
Smooth paint job,
Get to wear hot onesie for painting.

Cons: 
Clean up,
Need space due to over spray.

Enjoy your weekend!

Simone xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment